The photograph itself doesn't interest me. I want only to capture a minute part of reality.

~Henri Cartier Bresson



Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Peters Block

The Peters Block in Ellsworth is one of the most impressive business blocks located in the city. When the original Graham Lake Dam broke in the early part of the twentieth century water pounded up against this block with little noticeable damage. It has survived the tests of time and still shines to this day.
I hold a special place in my heart for this block, my childhood afternoons were spent waiting for my mother to get off work in McNally's Restaurant which was located on the corner of State and Main. For a very short time in the early 1970's I had a photo studio located above what is now Pyramid Studios. My first real paying job in photography was as a shooter and darkroom tech for the local newspaper Tuesday Weekly which was a radical newspaper in it's time. The Tuesday Weekly was run out of one of the apartments located in the Peter's Block.
This image shows the 'working' side of the block down back by the Union River.
Shot digital, converted to B&W , printed out onto Arches 140lb watercolor paper and then hand colored with pastel...it speaks of the area for what it is.
Ellsworth History

No comments: