The photograph itself doesn't interest me. I want only to capture a minute part of reality.

~Henri Cartier Bresson



Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Another Rambling Commentary from The Peanut Gallery:


OK, I will admit it, I shoot digital. I shoot lots of it too. I would rather shoot film 100% of the time but come on, lets face it, digital is easier and cheaper. This is where the basis for this diatribe rises from; the word "easier". The aspect I pick on today is what I have heard called by many photogs as “Barbie filters”. You must of seen them advertised in Shutterbug and mostly Rangefinder magazines. Take a shot of an attractive individual and ‘click’…they be all shiny and smooth, like Barbie and Ken. Blech. I know, I know..its what the client wants from those that shoot to get the big bucks and put food on the table. BUT, why not try and show people in their true beauty? I am fortunate, I do not make a living with my photography, (found out the hard way it takes all the fun out of it) so I am not at the mercy of a uber vain society. People are individuals thanks to the powers that be. I love showing people in such a way that little is needed to be asked. Where as when I see a Barbie-shot, I have to ask myself what the hell they really look like! Hope no one took offense...none intended, just my often ignored, over inflated ego type of rambling that most are used to. Peace out

No comments: