The photograph itself doesn't interest me. I want only to capture a minute part of reality.

~Henri Cartier Bresson



Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sculpture and Photography? Just My Opinion.

I attended a meeting of the Hancock County Photo Club last night. It was a unique meeting, a sculptor, John McMurry, spoke to us on the art itself and how to photograph it. Now you might ask, why have a sculptor speak at a photo club meeting? A number of reasons. First, McMurry was not only a ex teacher but a photography teacher who also sculpts from recycled materials. Second, I feel sorry for artists that are so etched in one genre and fail to see the importance of studying art as a whole. This was an great opportunity to evolve as artists. Third, this artist was invited to our club by a young member who has come out of his shell and wanted to share a friend with us whom this fellow member thinks a lot of, and after meeting and speaking with John I know why. I was taken aback by the lack of thought about the feelings of other fellow members especially seeing how this speaker came to be asked to speak. Let’s stay open-minded, we are all artists, whether photographers, painters, sculptors or written word….learn from each other, enjoy the moments that we get to share experiences. Thank you Jared for sharing.

No comments: